Barry Legionnaires’ probe to continue into 2020, says Mark Drakeford

An investigation into a cluster of cases of Legionnaires’ disease in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, is set to continue into next year.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said that despite extensive investigations, no common source had yet been identified.

Eleven cases of the disease have been reported in and around Barry within the past twelve months.

The watchdog Public Health Wales has so far decided against labelling it as an outbreak.

During Tuesday’s First Minister’s Questions, Conservative David Melding said the annual average number of Legionnaire’s cases for the whole of Wales was around 30.

The South Wales Central AM said the high number of cases would be “of great concern to residents”, suggesting that ways of contracting the disease, such as coming into contact with stale water and commercial wind screen washer fluid, were not well known.

Mr Drakeford said the incident management team set up to look into the issue would continue investigating for six months after the latest confirmed case, taking it into at least February 2020.

To read the full article post click here.

If you would like to contact us about an assessment please fill out the contact form here. And we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Feel free to follow our social media to stay updated on future reports using the links bellow.

Facebook

Instagram 

Linkedin