A man has shared his fears after a resident was diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease.
David Stephen’s dad, 75, has lived in Lochbrae Court in Rutherglen, South Lanarkshire, for 17 years.
He raised concerns after the complex’s management, Cairn Housing Association, revealed that a resident had been diagnosed with Legionnaire’s disease in June.
“They have been testing the water and the shower heads for nearly six months now,” he told STV News.
We were told over and over again, ‘everything’s fine’ and ‘there’s nothing to worry about’ – now this has come out, of course we are worried.
“There’s 95 lives of elderly people at stake here – it’s scary to imagine what could happen if there was an outbreak of Legionnaires’.”
The disease is a severe pneumonia caused by the legionella bacterium.
People can become infected when they inhale bacteria from a contaminated source, and is usually caught in places like hotels, hospitals or offices where the pathogens have got into the water supply.
“They have changed out everyone’s shower heads, and chlorinated the water multiple times. Residents have been told over and over again not to drink the water from taps, given bottled water instead – without any reason given,” David said.
In September last year, NHS Lanarkshire confirmed the bacteria was found in the water supply of the renal and endoscopy units at Monklands Hospital in Airdrie.
Filters were placed on basins and shower outlets in the units and in a ward served by the same water tank.
Cairn Housing Association has denied the presence of legionella in the water at the complex, after conducting extensive testing.
To read the full article post click here.
If you or your company requires a pre commission disinfection please feel free to contact Black Sheep.