A pensioner is suing Jet2 for £20,000 after catching Legionnaire’s disease on a ‘holiday from hell’.
Keith Tidman says he had the holiday at the four-star Sun City Hotel and Beach Club in Olu Deniz, Turkey, in 2019, and ended up going home in a wheelchair after contracting the potentially deadly waterborne illness.
He was diagnosed upon returning to the UK and put on a drip in intensive care at London’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
The 68-year-old is now suing Jet2 Holidays Ltd, through whom he booked the break, claiming up to £20,000 compensation.
But the holiday company deny any liability, disputing his claim that he caught the disease at the resort.
Legionnaires’ Disease is a lung infection caught by inhaling droplets of water infected with potentially deadly legionella bacteria.
The bacteria can be found in natural water sources, but also in man-made water systems such as hot tubs, mist sprayers and air conditioning units, making hotels particularly susceptible.
Mr Tidman fell ill while staying with his wife, son and daughter-in-law and three grandchildren at the four-star Sun City resort, which is situated at the foot of Mount Babadag and boasts a private beach in the Blue Lagoon.
According to his lawyers, when he became ill five days into his holiday, he was first thought to be suffering with an infected insect bite, then later with gastroenteritis.
But by the time he left Turkey, he was seriously ill in a wheelchair, having endured the “holiday from hell,” it is claimed.
To read the full article post click here.
If you or your company requires a pre commission disinfection please feel free to contact Black Sheep.