Woman Contracts Sepsis After Going In A Hot Tub With A Shaving Cut On Her Leg

A new article by the Huffington post goes into the story of a Mum who caught Sepsis by going into a hot tub with a small shaving cut on her leg.

Hayley Thomas, 46, accidentally nicked her right leg with a razor just hours before climbing into a friend’s hot tub with her son Justin John, five. She woke up the next day covered head to toe in painful red rashes and said her skin felt like it was on fire.

She went to an out-of-hours doctor’s appointment and started a course of antibiotics, but it wasn’t until she developed large oozing sores over her entire body – nine days after the hot tub dip – that serious concerns were raised and she was rushed to hospital.

A biopsy revealed Thomas had contracted sepsis from a bacteria in the hot tub water, which entered her bloodstream through her 2mm shaving cut.

As Thomas’s skin began to fall off, doctors prepared her for the increasing possibility that they would have to cut out large areas of infected skin in theatre.

In a last attempt to stop this, doctors gave her antibiotics for 21 days. It saved her limbs and, after three weeks in hospital, she was finally allowed home.

But she has been left permanently scarred with discoloured patches of skin over her body where her sores had been.

The single mum-of-one from Swansea has vowed never to get into another hot tub – and is speaking out to warn others of the dangers.

“I was terrified,” she said. “I’ve always been fit and healthy – I don’t smoke, I eat healthy and exercise regularly. To hear I could die because of a tiny shaving cut on my leg after relaxing in a hot tub was just unbelievable, and yet there I was.

“I’ll never step foot in a hot tub again, and it scares me whenever I see people getting in them, especially children. My son was in the hot tub with me that day, and if he had caught that infection, he wouldn’t be here today. I’m just so lucky that it was me who fell ill and not my little man.”

Thomas was enjoying a dip with pals in her friend’s hot tub on a sunny bank holiday weekend in May 2019. Just hours before donning her swimming costume, she’d shaved her legs in preparation, and suffered a tiny cut, but thought nothing of it.

This is another serious water infection case caused by private hot tubs not being up to standards.

To read the full article post click here.

If you would like to contact us about an assessment please fill out the contact form here. And we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Feel free to follow our social media to stay updated on future reports using the links bellow.

Facebook

Instagram 

Linkedin